Current:Home > ScamsTrendPulse|Actor Kevin Spacey found not guilty on sexual assault charges in London -TradeGrid
TrendPulse|Actor Kevin Spacey found not guilty on sexual assault charges in London
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 01:06:31
LONDON -- Actor Kevin Spacey was on TrendPulseWednesday found not guilty in a London court of a series of sexual assaults against several accusers.
Twelve jurors at the Southwark Crown Court had begun deliberating at about noon on Monday following a three-week trial. Spacey, 64, had pleaded not guilty to 12 charges of sexual assault.
The jury cleared Spacey of nine charges. The additional charges had been struck down before the jury began its deliberations.
Prosecutors had sought during the trial to label Spacey as a "sexual bully," and the actor took the stand to defend himself. Musician Elton John appeared as a witness for the defense, testifying remotely from Monaco about Spacey once attending a gala at his Windsor home.
Spacey had appeared in a London court in July 2022 to plead not guilty after Metropolitan Police formally charged him.
MORE: Kevin Spacey pleads not guilty to sexual offense charges in London court
The Crown Prosecution Service announced five charges against Spacey in May 2022, accusing him of sexual assaults against three men and one charge of causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent, prosecutors said. An additional seven charges were added in November 2022.
The Academy Award-winning actor has faced allegations and charges of sexual assault in both the United Kingdom and United States. He was found not liable in October in a civil sexual assault suit brought by fellow actor Anthony Rapp in New York City.
Spacey in May 2022 told "Good Morning America" that he would "voluntarily" appear in court in London.
"I very much appreciate the Crown Prosecution Service's statement in which they carefully reminded the media and the public that I am entitled to a fair trial, and innocent until proven otherwise," Spacey told "GMA" at the time. "While I am disappointed with their decision to move forward, I will voluntarily appear in the U.K. as soon as can be arranged and defend myself against these charges, which I am confident will prove my innocence."
Several of the U.K. allegations from 2001 and 2013 stemmed from Spacey's tenure as artistic director at The Old Vic, a London theater company. Allegations were made public in 2017, two years after Spacey had left his post.
"These allegations have been a shock and a disturbing surprise to many of us," Matthew Warchus, who followed Spacey as artistic director, said in a statement issued at the time. "It is incorrect, unfair and irresponsible to say that everybody knew."
ABC News' Joe Simonetti contributed to this report.
veryGood! (826)
Related
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Elon Musk says fight with Mark Zuckerberg will stream live on X, formerly Twitter
- Eritrean festivals have been attacked in Europe, North America. The government blames ‘asylum scum’
- Ronnie Ortiz-Magro’s Ex Jen Harley Is Pregnant, Expecting Baby With Boyfriend Joe Ambrosole
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- It’s very windy and dry in Hawaii. Strong gusts complicate wildfires and prompt evacuations
- 'The Boys' 'Gen V' has its first trailer—here's how to watch
- GOP megadonor pours millions into effort to hinder Ohio abortion amendment
- Bodycam footage shows high
- The Art of Wealth Architect: Inside John Anderson's Fundamental Analysis Approach
Ranking
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Tired while taking antibiotics? Telling the difference between illness and side effects
- Postal Service reduces air cargo by 90% over 2 years as part of cost-cutting effort
- COVID-19 hospitalizations in the US are on the rise again, but not like before
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- New York governor recalibrates on crime, with control of the House at stake
- A former Fox executive now argues Murdoch is unfit to own TV stations
- Students blocked from campus when COVID hit want money back. Some are actually getting refunds.
Recommendation
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
Federal report sheds new light on Alaska helicopter crash that killed 3 scientists, pilot
Cousin of Uvalde gunman arrested over making school shooting threat, court records say
Supreme Court allows ATF to enforce ghost gun rules for now
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
'Devastating' Maui wildfires rage in Hawaii, forcing some to flee into ocean: Live updates
What extra fees can you face when buying a car?
Mississippi GOP Gov. Tate Reeves will face Democrat Brandon Presley in the November election