Current:Home > NewsChina says Philippines has 'provoked trouble' in South China Sea with US backing -TradeGrid
China says Philippines has 'provoked trouble' in South China Sea with US backing
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 22:34:43
BEIJING — China accused the Philippines on Friday (Dec 13) of having "provoked trouble" in the South China Sea with US backing, a week after Beijing and Manila traded accusations over a new confrontation in the disputed waters.
"The Philippine side, with US support and solicitation, has been stirring up trouble in many spots in the South China Sea," Wu Qian, a spokesperson for China's defence ministry, said on its official WeChat account.
"The Philippines is well aware that the scope of its territory is determined by a series of international treaties and has never included China's" Spratly Islands and Scarborough Shoal, he added.
Beijing and Manila have been involved this year in a series of confrontations at reefs and outcrops in the South China Sea, which China claims almost in its entirety.
The Philippines, Brunei, Malaysia, Taiwan and Vietnam also claim parts of the sea. They are concerned China's expansive claim encroaches into their exclusive economic zones (EEZ), non-territorial waters that extend 200 nautical miles (370 km) from the coasts of a nation's land.
The Philippines' National Maritime Council and its National Security Council did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the latest remarks from Beijing.
The US Navy's 7th Fleet also did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Philippines officials said last week that Chinese coast guard vessels had fired water cannon and side-swiped a Manila fisheries bureau boat on the way to deliver supplies to Filipino fishermen around the Scarborough Shoal, a move that drew condemnation from the US
China's Coast Guard said that four Philippine ships had attempted to enter waters it described as its own around the Scarborough Shoal, which Beijing calls Huangyan Island.
China submitted nautical charts earlier this month to the United Nations that it said supported its claims to the waters, which a 2016 international tribunal found to be a long established fishing ground for fishermen of many nationalities.
Following the charts' submission, a spokesperson for the Philippines' National Maritime Council, said China's claims were baseless and illegal.
The 2016 tribunal ruled that China's claim had no basis under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), and that its blockade around the Scarborough Shoal was in breach of international law.
Beijing has never recognised the decision.
Sovereignty over the Scarborough Shoal has never been established.
The Philippines and other members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations have spent years negotiating a code of conduct with Beijing for the strategic waterway, with some nations in the bloc insisting that it be based on UNCLOS.
EEZs give the coastal nation jursidiction over living and nonliving resources in the water and on the ocean floor.
[[nid:712152]]
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (5928)
Related
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- 'One of the best summers': MLB players recall sizzle, not scandal, from McGwire-Sosa chase
- Florida abortion rights at stake as state Supreme Court takes up challenge to GOP-led restrictions
- Judge orders Louisiana to remove incarcerated youths from the state’s maximum-security adult prison
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Investigators pinpoint house as source of explosion that killed 6 near Pittsburgh last month
- This week on Sunday Morning (September 10)
- I love saris — but I have never seen saris like these before
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Nicki Minaj Returning to Host and Perform at 2023 MTV Video Music Awards
Ranking
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Sri Lanka’s ruling coalition defeats a no-confidence motion against the health minister
- Wynn Resorts to settle sexual harassment inaction claim from 9 female salon workers
- Biden, Modi look to continue tightening US-India relations amid shared concerns about China
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Powerball jackpot reaches $461 million. See winning numbers for Sept. 6.
- Indonesia says China has pledged $21B in new investment to strengthen ties
- Peter Navarro convicted of contempt of Congress for defying Jan. 6 committee subpoena
Recommendation
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
USA TODAY Sports' Week 1 NFL picks: Will Aaron Rodgers, Jets soar past Bills?
OSU, WSU ask court to prevent departing Pac-12 schools from standing in way of rebuilding conference
Removal of Rio Grande floating barriers paused by appeals court
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Brazil cyclone death toll nears 40 as flooding swamps southern state of Rio Grande do Sul
We're Confident You'll Love Hailey and Justin Bieber's Coordinating Date Night Style
Prison guard on duty when convicted murderer escaped fired amid manhunt