Current:Home > InvestOregon Elections Division shuts down phone lines after barrage of calls prompted by false claims -TradeGrid
Oregon Elections Division shuts down phone lines after barrage of calls prompted by false claims
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:28:30
SALEM, Ore. (AP) — The Oregon Secretary of State Elections Division on Thursday shut down its phone lines following a barrage of calls from people responding to false claims that the state’s voters pamphlet does not include Republican nominee Donald Trump.
The voter’s pamphlet does list the former president as a candidate and notes that he declined to provide a statement about why people should vote for him. Trump will appear on the state’s ballot.
A post on X from the conservative account Libs of TikTok last week falsely claimed Trump wasn’t included in the voters pamphlet and asked, “What’s going on?” The Oregon GOP issued a statement noting that the decision not to provide a statement was a choice that Trump’s campaign made earlier this year.
But the false claim suggesting election interference continued to spread on social media, and on Thursday, the Elections Division said its phone lines had been overwhelmed.
“Oregonians who need assistance will now have to wait because some individuals operating in bad faith are misleading people online,” Secretary of State LaVonne Griffin-Valade said in a news release. “Spreading rumors and false claims of election interference does nothing to help Oregonians.”
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Beyoncé's 'Cowboy Carter' becomes Spotify's most-streamed album in single day in 2024
- Gunmen in Ecuador kill 9, injure 10 others in attack in coastal city of Guayaquil as violence surges
- Late Football Star Spencer Webb's Son Spider Celebrates His First Birthday
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- The history of No. 11 seeds in the Final Four after NC State's continues March Madness run
- Small plane crash kills 2 people in California near Nevada line, police say
- For years, we were told chocolate causes pimples. Have we been wrong all along?
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Whoopi Goldberg says she uses weight loss drug Mounjaro: 'I was 300 pounds'
Ranking
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- WWE Star Gabbi Tuft Lost All Will to Live—But Coming Out as Transgender Changed Everything
- The history of No. 11 seeds in the Final Four after NC State's continues March Madness run
- LSU's Flau'jae Johnson thrives on basketball court and in studio off of it
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Here and meow: Why being a cat lady is now cool (Just ask Taylor)
- UPS to become the primary air cargo provider for the United States Postal Service
- 'Unlike anything' else: A NASA scientist describes seeing a solar eclipse from outer space
Recommendation
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
The pool was safety to transgender swimmer Schuyler Bailar. He wants it that way for others
Are you using dry shampoo the right way? We asked a trichologist.
Alabama's Mark Sears has taken what his mom calls the backroad route to basketball glory
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
The Bachelor’s Joey and Kelsey Reveal They’ve Nailed Down One Crucial Wedding Detail
Missing 4-year-old's body found, mother Janet Garcia arrested in connection to his murder
Salvage crews to begin removing first piece of collapsed Baltimore bridge