Current:Home > reviewsPoinbank:'Never gotten a response like this': Denial of Boar's Head listeria records raises questions -TradeGrid
Poinbank:'Never gotten a response like this': Denial of Boar's Head listeria records raises questions
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:37:45
A "law enforcement" investigation is Poinbanklikely underway in the multi-state Boar's Head listeria outbreak, based on notices USA TODAY received Thursday and Friday.
The 19-state outbreak has hospitalized 59, including 10 deaths, and the existence of a legal investigation, which USA TODAY learned about through rejected and redacted records requests, likely indicates inquiries for criminal or civil proceedings are in progress, said food safety attorney Bill Marler.
"In my 31 years of dealing with (U.S. Food Safety and Inspection Service), I've never gotten a response like this," said Marler, who previously called for a congressional hearing into the situation. The investigation could be looking into the conduct of the USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) inspectors in addition to Boar's Head, he said.
The listeria outbreak was first reported by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) on July 19, prompting product recalls from Boar's Head and an investigation between Boar's Head, FSIS, the CDC and other agencies.
Inspection records obtained via USA TODAY Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests previously showed that conditions in the Jarratt, Virginia Boar's Head facility where the outbreak originated were noted as subpar dating back at least to 2022. The documents reported the presence of mold and mildew, insects both dead and alive, leaking water, rust and other deficiencies "that could pose imminent threat to product."
The Jarratt, Virginia plant has since been permanently closed, leaving 500 people without jobs. Boar's Head has also discontinued the production of its liverwurst products, which were believed to be the source of the widespread listeria.
Government investigation into Boar's Head outbreak
USA TODAY became aware of the legal investigation when FSIS denied multiple records requests related to the outbreak, citing an exemption that protects from the disclosure of “records or information compiled for law enforcement purposes."
Under this exemption, records and information can be withheld if they are compiled for law enforcement purposes if the release of this information could "reasonably be expected to interfere with enforcement proceedings," said the denial letter.
FSIS withheld nearly 400 pages of documents requested by USA TODAY, saying the premature release of included information could interfere with enforcement proceedings and "hinder the government’s ability to further control and shape the investigation."
As of now, U.S. officials would not comment on any ongoing investigation.
"Justice Department policy prohibits the confirmation or denial of the existence of an ongoing investigation," Brian McGinn, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Virginia, told USA TODAY.
FSIS and The Office of the Inspector General (OIG) did not immediately respond to request for comment. Boar's Head declined to comment as the company does not comment on legal matters.
Food safety experts, politicians call for listeria probe
Marler is not the only concerned party calling for a large-scale investigation.
On Thursday, U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) and U.S. Representative Rosa DeLauro (D-CT-03) called on the USDA and DOJ to consider criminal charges against Boar's Head and to strengthen USDA's Listeria prevention protocols.
“The time for action is long overdue, and we urge your agencies to work together to seek immediate justice for impacted consumers and to prevent this from happening again,” wrote Blumenthal and DeLauro in a press statement. “Moving forward, it is critical that the agency take this matter seriously and take the necessary steps to address the concerns raised by this outbreak."
veryGood! (54416)
Related
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Orsted puts up $100M guarantee that it will build New Jersey’s first offshore wind farm by 2025
- Qdoba's Loaded Tortilla Soup returns to restaurant's menu for limited time
- Russian President Putin arrives in Kyrgyzstan on a rare trip abroad
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Civil rights advocates join attorney Ben Crump in defense of woman accused of voter fraud
- Music festival survivor details escape from Hamas: 'They hunted us for hours'
- Musk’s X has taken down hundreds of Hamas-linked accounts, CEO says
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Celebrity Prime Day Picks: Kris Jenner, Tayshia Adams & More Share What's in Their Amazon Cart
Ranking
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Auto workers escalate strike, walking out at Ford’s largest factory and threatening Stellantis
- Best horror books to read this spooky season: 10 page-turners to scare your socks off
- Travis Barker’s Daughter Alabama Feels “Very Misunderstood” After Being Criticized By Trolls
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Syria says Israeli airstrikes hit airports in Damascus and Aleppo, damaging their runways
- Woman accused of falsely reporting she was abducted after seeing child on road seeks to avoid jail
- US arranging evacuation flights for Americans who want to leave Israel as war with Hamas rages
Recommendation
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Police have unserved warrant for Miles Bridges for violation of domestic violence protective order
Carlee Russell Kidnapping Hoax Case: Alabama Woman Found Guilty on 2 Misdemeanor Charges
Judge in Trump docs case to hear arguments regarding potential conflicts of interest
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
Indigenous leader of Guatemalan protests says they are defending democracy after election
An Oklahoma man used pandemic relief funds to have his name cleared of murder
Strike talks break off between Hollywood actors and studios