Current:Home > ContactTrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Trapped American caver's evacuation advances, passing camp 1,000 feet below surface -TradeGrid
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Trapped American caver's evacuation advances, passing camp 1,000 feet below surface
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 00:11:10
LONDON -- The TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Centerevacuation of an American caver trapped underground in Turkey continued overnight, as a rescue team carrying him on a stretcher passed through a rest camp about 1,000 feet underground, international caving officials said.
Mark Dickey, 40, has been trapped underground since Aug. 31, when he fell ill more than 3,400 feet below the surface, according to the New Jersey Initial Response Team, a group he leads.
A team that includes medical staff began an evacuation late last week, after his condition improved enough to move him, caving officials said.
"The stretcher with Mark reached the level -300m," or about 984 feet underground, the Hungarian Cave Rescue Service said in an update posted Monday morning.
MORE: Evacuation now underway for American trapped 3,400 feet underground in cave
The team carrying the stretcher had passed a bivouac site about 500 meters, or 1,640 feet, below the surface about 12 hours earlier, the European Cave Rescue Association said.
"The medical status of the casualty is stable," the association had said in a statement on Sunday evening. "The next planned stop is at -300 m. The members of the different rescue teams are in a good physical condition."
Dickey's condition on Sunday was "very good," according to Tulga Sener, the medical coordinator for Turkey's Caving Federation.
"He has not had any bleeding or vomiting for at least 2 days," Sener said in a statement posted in Turkish on social media. "All vital signs, pulse, blood pressure, body temperature, state of consciousness, cooperation are all completely healthy."
When Dickey reaches the surface, he's expected to be examined at the scene by Turkish and foreign doctors, rescue officials said on Sunday. He'll then be flown via helicopter to a nearby hospital.
Dickey had been assisting in the exploration of the cave when he "suddenly became ill with intestinal problems that rapidly progressed into life-threatening bleeding and vomiting," the New Jersey Initial Response Team said in a statement announcing the his situation. Dickey serves as the leader of that group, a collection of volunteers who specialize in cave and mine rescues.
The evacuation of Dickey was expected to be hindered by narrow passages "just big enough to crawl through," the group said. Demolition teams had been working to enlarge the path so his stretcher could reach the surface.
veryGood! (169)
Related
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Video shows New York man driving truck into ocean off Daytona Beach in bizarre scene
- More Republicans back spending on child care, saying it’s an economic issue
- Two US senators express concerns with SafeSport, ask sports organizations for feedback
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Britney Spears deletes throwback photo with Ben Affleck after claiming they 'made out'
- Here's What Skincare Teens and Tweens Should Actually Be Using, According to a Dermatologist
- TikToker Veruca Salt Shares One-Month-Old Newborn Son Died in His Sleep
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- The Spurs held practice at a Miami Beach school. And kids there got a huge surprise
Ranking
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- From Uber Eats’ ‘Friends’ reunion to Bud’s Clydesdales, here are the buzziest Super Bowl ads so far
- NASA PACE livestream: Watch liftoff of mission to study Earth's oceans
- Anheuser-Busch gets back to basics for Super Bowl commercials after Bud Light controversy
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Medals for 2024 Paris Olympics to feature piece of original iron from Eiffel Tower
- The Georgia House has approved a $5 billion boost to the state budget
- Why Bachelor Nation's Kaitlyn Bristowe Thought She Was Asexual After End of a Relationship
Recommendation
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
How a grieving mother tried to ‘build a bridge’ with the militant convicted in her son’s murder
Ohio backs off proposed restrictions on gender-affirming care for adults
Britney Spears Reveals She Forgot She Made Out With Ben Affleck
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
A 94-year-old was lying in the cold for hours: How his newspaper delivery saved his life
Philadelphia lawyer accused of falsely claiming to represent family of boy killed by police
Anheuser-Busch gets back to basics for Super Bowl commercials after Bud Light controversy